Education Is The Key.
Canine Good Citizen Evaluations May 11th at noon
$35 registration. This includes your certificate if you earn it.
We will have an outside evaluator from Denton come down to test your dog. There will be the opportunity for you to help stand in as “crowd” for other dogs’ evaluation
Please email Adam@TopDogTexas.com if you want to schedule a “MINI SESSION” to brush up on any two parts of the test you’d like. The cost for the mini session will be $30 for 30 minutes.
Here’s a video showing you how the test will go.
For more information about Canine Good Citizen go to http://www.akc.org/
Canine Nutrition Seminar
Top Dog is very excited to be hosting Plear Littlefield for a Canine Nutrition Mini Seminar with an emphasis on how to develop a raw diet for your dog. Veterinary statistics are showing alarming spikes in diabetes, heart disease, cancer, thyroid issues, and almost every other health concern that you can imagine when it comes to our dogs. As we learn more about dogs we would hope that they would be living longer, healthier lives, but unfortunately this is simply not the case. So much of this has to do with inappropriate diets.
Plear has been our go to source whenever we’ve had questions about this topic for the last couple years, and we’re so excited that we now have the opportunity to really sit down and learn from her. Plear is the founder of the most extensive raw feeding group online: The Raw Feeding Community. You can read some of her articles, as well as those that she’s compiled on the website: https://therawfeedingcommunity.com/
Raw feeding is not for everyone, and Plear will also be going over ways to choose the right kibble for your dog, supplement your dog food to improve the quality, and various other tips and tricks so that we can help to cut down on all these illnesses! If you love your pet, and you want to do the best for them you won’t miss this seminar!
Summer 2019 Date TBD
Diabetic Alert Dog Training Summit November 4th-9th
Training Diabetic Alert Dogs is one of the most rewarding choices we’ve made in the dog training industry. We want to share that opportunity with other qualified dog trainers. We’ve attempted some short 2 and 3 day workshops in the past. Unfortunately we felt that we were just getting started when the workshops came to a conclusion. For this reason we’ve built the Diabetic Alert Dog Summit. The reason we call it a Summit, and not a school or a workshop is because we are only allowing professional trainers that already have all the basic skills required to train a dog. Therefor, we can skip the basics, and put our skills immediately to the test in training the more advanced behaviors required of a diabetic alert dog.
What will be covered:
- What exactly a diabetic alert dog does, and does not do. There are many myths that need to be dispelled.
- Who are the correct candidates for a diabetic alert dog (not all T1 Diabetics need one)?
- Selecting the right dog/puppy for the job. Being a diabetic alert dog is an extremely tall order, and not all dogs make the cut. We will be doing hands on aptitude testing with puppies and adult dogs.
- Scent Imprinting (the different stages and drills to imprinting the correct odor on the dog).
- How to train the dog to alert.
- Proofing and generalizing the scent detection so that the dog learns to alert no matter what.
- Public Access training
- Training night alerts.
This is by no means a comprehensive list. Our goal with this summit is that you will leave feeling confident in starting the process to becoming a diabetic alert dog trainer so that you can go out and have a positive impact on the lives of those that are so desperately seeking help.
Requirements: As mentioned earlier, this workshop is only open to those with a solid foundation in training dogs. We require that you have a minimum two years professional experience in obedience training, competition training, or other comparable fields.
Price: $1200 includes six days of instruction, breakfast snacks (granola bars, fruit, etc.), and all lunches. Most days will run from 9am-5pm. Tuesday will run from 9am-7:30pm. Saturday will run from 9am-2pm. It is possible to still fly out on Saturday evening if needed.
Each person will need to register for the workshop individually in order to attend. (In the event that two people from the same household would like to attend they still need to register separately.)
Registration Form and Payment Portal: https://form.jotform.us/radad10/diabetic-alert-dog-summit
For those that are traveling from out of town:
Our training facility is located about 1 hour from DFW Airport and 1 hour 10 minutes from Dallas Lovefield Airport. Feel free to fly into either airport and we will happily pick you up November 3rd and return you to the airport on the 9th or 10th. You will not need to rent a car if you don’t want to as the facility is located in close proximity to several hotels. We will not be offering pickups from the airport November 4th, we know some folks like to fly in the day of the workshop, and we simply can’t get out to the airport and still start at 9am day one.
Accommodations: We are very fortunate to have several hotels close by for you to stay during the summit. If you choose to stay at any of these hotels we will happily shuttle you to and from the Summit and events each day. If you stay at a different hotel than those listed below you will be responsible for your own transportation.
La Quinta Inn and Suites
This event also serves as a way that we say thank you to our loyal clients. After our initial group walk/training activity (about thirty minutes) we’ll buy a couple of Johnson County’s Largest Pizzas! We promise you won’t leave here hungry. (If you’d like to purchase your own drinks or salad you’re welcome to do so, but Adam only buys pizza!)
- WHO? Any past or current clients of Top Dog! That’s right, even if we trained your dog ten years ago, you’re still invited. We were grateful for you then, and we’re still grateful for you now!
- WHAT? A free short training activity, and some delicious free pizza.
- WHEN? The first Friday of every month at 7pm. Check the facebook page the day of the event if you think that the weather might interfere with the event. If it’s super cold or rainy we will sometimes reschedule it, cancel, or move it to the training facility.
- WHERE? We start and end at Moontower Pizza Bar in Old Town Burleson (137 S Wilson Burleson, TX 76028). If you’re running a little late you can usually walk around the block and find us. Old Town Burleson provides a perfect training environment for us to practice our training skills!
We absolutely love spending time with our clients, and we really hope you will join us at our next First Friday Pizza Night!